SubjectRe: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"
David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 17:38 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> David Woodhouse wrote:

>>> The useful half. If you have userspace to load modules, you have
>>> userspace to load firmware too.
>> Existing examples have already been provided where this logic fails.
>
> I even provided such an example, where your script greps the module for
> 'request_firmware' and fails if there's a match. I don't think any of
> the other provided examples were _much_ more sensible than that...

That makes the false presumption that scripts have been updated to avoid
the obvious case -- non-working drivers.

Why is it so difficult to follow a simple principle:

Keep things working tomorrow, that work today.

hmmm?

That's how kernel module support was integrated, so many years ago.

Jeff

  Last update: 2008-07-07 01:25    [W:0.145 / U:2.012 seconds]