SubjectRe: post 2.6.26 requires pciehp_slot_with_bus
Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 03:18:53PM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
>> I think that's fine (automatically creating duplicate devices with names to
>> differentiate them), but I think we should also try harder to avoid adding
>> duplicates.
>>
>> In Pierre's case, and on my T61, there's only one actual hotplug slot
>> available, but the firmware creates duplicate physical slot numbers and sets
>> the HP_CAP bit on everything, both of which are obviously wrong (well I
>> suppose you could pop these chips off the board, but it's not very
>> practical). However, afaict that "other" OS uses the _RMV method to
>> determine whether a given slot is actually hot pluggable. On my T61 at
>> least, this seems to be accurate: only one of my EXP* objects has a _RMV
>> method.
>
> I think you're getting distracted from the real problem we're trying to
> solve here, the reason for introducing the pci_slot driver in the first
> place: we want to have information on all slots, not just hotplug ones.
>
> So while this is growing out of the hotplug system, we need to register
> all slots, even ones without _RMV.

I think Jesse's idea is not for breaking pci_slot driver. I think even
with his idea pci_slot driver will detect all slots, but hotplug driver
(e.g. pciehp) will not be registered on some of those slots.

By the way, how is pci_slot driver on your system that has a problem with
pciehp? Does duplicate slot problem happen also with pci_slot driver?

Thanks,
Kenji Kaneshige

  Last update: 2008-07-28 11:03    [W:0.067 / U:1.284 seconds]