    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, david@lang.hm wrote:

    > David W has made it very clear that the eventual intent of this patch series
    > is to remove all firmware from the kernel tree and have it shipped as a
    > seperate package.

    I don't think that kind of black-and-white model is necessarily
    attainable. Nor do I think it's even _good_.

    It's probably the right thign for _some_ firmware, assuming we have models
    that just make it easy enough - for drivers where it's generally better
    for distros to get the firmware from vendors rather than the kernel.

    But there is certainly nothing inherently good in forcing a split.

    I think both sides here need to calm down and stop being so extreme.

    I do want request_firmware() to be the way to load firmware (and possibly
    other configuration data too, for that matter - I don't think it's
    necessarily wrong for people to "misuse" it for other long-term data
    despite the name), and I do want people to be able to update firmware
    easily without having to force a kernel bump, but I also don't think it
    means that firmware has to go away from the kernel sources.

    So I think the _infrastructure_ is important. But the extreme "you have to
    split it off entirely" mindset is equally as stupid as the "you must
    compile it into the module" mindset.

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-07-15 18:45    [W:2.517 / U:0.180 seconds]