SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, david@lang.hm wrote:
>>
>> there was also the issue that was raised about how to handle firmware during
>> suspend/resume. I don't remember seeing a happy solution to that one.
>
> I don't understand why this even keeps coming up.
>
> The only reliable way to handle it is to load the firmware before the
> suspend happens - preferably by simply never unloading it in the first
> place.
>
> Anything else is fraught with problems.
>
> Stuff that expects to eject itself anyway(*) over a suspend event can
> obviously decide to throw it away and require a reload at resume time (by
> virtue of simply re-discovering the whole device!).
>
> Everybody else should just keep the firmware in memory in the driver.
>
> Does it waste some ram? Sure. Tough.

I agree with this, but the proponents of the seperate firmware are listing
the fact that the firmware doesn't tie up ram as one of the big reasons
for making the change.

David Lang

  Last update: 2008-07-15 02:55    [W:0.227 / U:0.248 seconds]