SubjectRe: [git pull] core/softirq for v2.6.27

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > /me suggests git-log-addendum feature to amend commit logs after the
> > fact, without changing any of the code :-)
>
> It's called "git commit --amend".

yeah - and i use that for general development meanwhile: i just
commit the draft code in small steps (appending it to the commit via
git commit --amend), then i test it and amend it with a final commit
log in the end.

I use that method instead of doing development via uncommitted changes
in the git index, because that way:

- I see the under-development change in a form close to how other
people see it (as a commit)

- I can switch branches during development

- It's sure that changes are not lost

- I can distribute my half-done commits to my testboxes (internally i
use a hierarchy of Git repos on testboxes to automatically propagate
changes)

Once it's pushed out publicly into a persistent branch it cannot be
touched anymore.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-07-14 20:25    [W:0.039 / U:0.672 seconds]