SubjectRe: Ctrl+C doesn't interrupt process waiting for I/O
Avi Kivity wrote:

>> Yes, it's intended behaviour. Filesystem IO syscalls are considered
>> "fast" and are interruptible. Usermode code can reasonably expect
>> that file IO will never return EINTR.
>
> That's filesystem dependent; if you mount an nfs filesystem with the
> 'intr' mount option, it will be interruptible (which makes sense, as
> it is impossible to guarantee the server's responsiveness).

'intr' is a pretty bad idea, and I would never recommend it ('soft' is
better). It's an excellent way to destroy data when a stray signal
causes a syscall to fail with EINTR in an unexpected way (write being
the obvious one, but link, unlink, truncate or even close can fail in
odd ways can cause havok).

I don't know of any other filesystem with a similarly bad option.

  Last update: 2008-06-29 07:17    [W:0.159 / U:0.048 seconds]