SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for June 23
On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:26 PM, Vegard Nossum <vegard.nossum@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And additionally, the next two boots hung here (but the third one was okay):
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/vegard/kernels/20080623-next/DSCF3015.JPG
>>
>> I don't know what these issues are related too. I can try
>> debug_initcall for the hang.
>
> The last initcall to run is populate_rootfs(), however the last
> message on the screen is "debug: unmapping init memory
> f7cb0000..f7ff0000":
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/vegard/kernels/20080623-next/DSCF3016.JPG
>
> In fact, it seems to me that init memory is being unmapped before all
> initcalls have finished... that would seem disastrous.

Ah, scratch that. Digging a bit deeper, it becomes obvious that the
initramfs/initrd code is freeing its own memory using the same
function in the end (free_init_pages()) as free_initmem(), so they'll
in fact just print the same message. That doesn't change the fact of
the hang, however...

My config can be found at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/vegard/kernels/20080623-next/config

Vegard

--
"The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it

  Last update: 2008-06-23 19:45    [W:0.035 / U:0.852 seconds]