SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH] usb-storage: wait for device scanning before mounting root
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 03:11:23AM -0600, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
>> The problem is that USB has one scsi_host per device (rather than, say,
>> having one scsi_host and adding new devices to it as they're found on
>> the USB bus).
>>
>> I'm certainly open to ideas of hooking into the mechanism -- it's just a
>> list of completions after all. Something like this:
[...]

The problem is AFAIU not exactly how many Scsi_Host instances (initiator
port representations, or something remotely related to that) are
instantiated, but rather _when_ they are instantiated. On multi
protocol buses or networks like USB and FireWire, it makes sense to
create the SCSI initiator port representation when we discovered that
there are actually SCSI targets on the bus or network.

scsi_scan's API is geared towards drivers which create one or more
initiator port representations right up front before going on target
discovery, right?
--
Stefan Richter

  Last update: 2008-06-19 20:43    [W:0.106 / U:0.796 seconds]