SubjectRe: futex: priority wakeup miss ordering
On Wed, 7 May 2008, Daniel Walker wrote:

> from commit ec92d08292d3e9b0823eba138a4564d2d39f25c7
>
> The wakeup ordering should be in priority order. However if the priority
> of a task is modified while it's waiting on the futex you will get an
> out of order wakeup.
>
> If you use a priority inheriting mutex this is correct. It's because the
> rtmutex hooks into sched_setscheduler to catch any priority changes,
> then re-queues with the new priority.. But the futex doesn't have this
> hook.
>
> Was this intentionally left out of this priority wake up patch? I
> thought I would let you know in case you had a specific reason for not
> handling this..

IIRC this has been discussed before. The priority ordering of the
plain mutex waiters is an optimization without guarantees of
correctness across a priority change. It's simply not worth the
additional complexity and overhead for that corner case.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2008-05-08 12:09    [W:2.609 / U:0.300 seconds]