SubjectRe: LogFS merge

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Why not merge it and mark it experimental then ? In fact, this is about
> what you're looking for : reduced merge hassle and more testers.

The real issue for me wrt a filesystem is the on-disk layout.

If we know that on-disk structures need change, we shouldn't merge it. It
doesn't matter if that can be worked around with some backwards-
compatibiltiy flag: we should simply not encourage that kind of behaviour.
It would be much much better to just get a layout that is as final as
possible and avoid the "there are two different formats, because the first
format was known to be broken" issue.

Will extensions happen and add features anyway? Probably. But that's
different from merging something knowing that the on-disk format will
change.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-05-03 19:21    [W:0.065 / U:2.132 seconds]