SubjectRe: PostgreSQL pgbench performance regression in 2.6.23+
On Fri, 23 May 2008, Anton Petrusevich wrote:

> Excuse me for interrupting you, but am I getting this right: to run
> effectively PostgreSQL with an active web app on the server a "system
> administrator Joe" has to know about batch scheduling?

That's not true. The problem here is specifically with the pgbench
program, which is a simple benchmarking tool included with PostgreSQL.
pgbench already had known scalability problems due to its inefficient
design and the new scheduler really doesn't play well with it by default.
It's the pgbench program that needs the batch scheduling, not the database
processes.

pgbench is certainly not representative of web application performance,
and it wouldn't be the first time there was some OS tweaking required to
get good results from such an artificial benchmark.

  Last update: 2008-05-23 20:49    [W:0.026 / U:0.548 seconds]