SubjectRe: Top 10 bugs/warnings for the week of March 23rd, 2008

On Fri, 23 May 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> Per file statistics
> [I'd love to borrow Linus' gitstat stuff for this to get a nicer presentation
> of the per file/directory data]

The algorithm is very simple. Just sort your filenames alphabetically, and
then you can do it with a simple 40-line recursive function and a trivial
data structure. See the git sources, diff.c: gather_dirstat().

Or just do "git show 7df7c019c2a46672c12a11a45600cdc698e03029" in git to
show the commit that introduces --dirstat.

(In fact, much of the dirstat code is the thing that turns it into
percentages, so it has some setup code that first calculates the total
number of changes, and the printout code spends effort in generating the
percentage (well, permille) and not showing insignificant stuff - whether
you'd want/need that for this is debatable)

> Rank 1: __register_sysctl_paths
> Reported 1260 times (2491 total reports)
> [tainted] Duplicate /proc registration. Bug in the madwifi driver
> (Occasionally seen in the parport driver)
> This oops was last seen in version 2.6.25.4, and first seen in 2.6.25-rc3.
> More info:
> http://www.kerneloops.org/searchweek.php?search=__register_sysctl_paths

Btw, can you try to call these warnings, not oopses? It's not an oops, and
it's not even reported as an oops in the overviews on the top-level things
on the web-site, so your scripts do know it's not an oops - but then in
this summary and in the "detailed information" reports it's called an oops
again.

It's a WARN_ON, and yeah, while they can be bad, it's still different
from an actual oops.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-05-23 18:45    [W:0.067 / U:0.176 seconds]