SubjectRe: taskstats and /proc/.../io asymmetry?
Mark Seger wrote:
> If you look at /proc/pid/stat, you can get the total CPU consumed by a
> process. If you look at /proc/pid/task/tid/stat you can get the cpu
> consumed by a thread and if the tid is that of the parent you only gets
> its consumption as opposed to all its children.
>
> I was surprised to see that the way process I/O is reported doesn't
> follow this model. There are no /prod/pid/task/tid/io entries but
> rather you need to look in /proc/tid/io. While I view this as a minor
> inconvenience, I can certainly live with it. However, /proc/pid/io does
> not show the aggregate I/O numbers for the whole process and that both
> surprises and disappoints. This means if I have a process that starts a
> bunch of worker threads that do the real work and I want to find the top
> I/O consumers I can't simply walk the /proc/pid tree but rather have to
> look at all the threads of each process and add them up.
>
> Or am I missing something?

I looked through the code and your argument seems to be correct. The behaviour
is inconsistent w.r.t. other statistics like utime and stime. We currently
accumulate tgid information in signal_struct, we need to do something similar
for io as well. If nobody gets to it by the time I finish my backlog, I'll try
and get to it.

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh

  Last update: 2008-05-16 05:53    [W:3.476 / U:1.700 seconds]