SubjectRe: [patch 21/21] slab defrag: Obsolete SLAB
On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:09:06PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> Assumptions may be the issue. My own "reproducer" for remote frees is
> available from my git tree and I usually prefer to run my own. We

No doubt you prefer to run a test which fails to show a problem with
your code. How about you try running a test which does show a problem?

> discussed the results of that program last fall. You stated yesterday that
> your code is proprietary. I am not sure what I am allowed to do with the
> code. I did not know that it was proprietary before yesterday and I would
> have just forwarded that code to Pekka yesterday if I would not have
> caught that message in time.

I'm surprised you're so cavalier about copyright. There was nothing in
that code which permitted you to redistribute it.

> I thought that what you provided it was a test program to exercise
> and optimize the scsi subsystem?

Why would you think that? The subject of the email was "Slub test
program".

> > > Compile slabinfo and then do f.e. slabinfo -AD (this is documented in the
> > > help text provided when enabling statistics).
> >
> > That's an utterly unhelpful answer. Let me try asking again.
> >
> > Exactly how does collecting these stats work? Am I supposed to zero
> > the counters after the TPC has done its initial ramp-up? What commands
> > should I run, and at exactly which points?
>
> There is no way of zeroing the counters. Run slabinfo -AD after the
> test application has been running for awhile. If you want a differential
> then you have to take two datapoints.

Is a differential interesting to you?

> > Otherwise I'll get something wrong and these numbers will be useless to
> > you. Or that's what you'll claim anyway.
>
> No. I guess I will end up with a lot of guess work of what is going on on
> the system since the information is limited for some reason.

They're your statistics. Tell me what you need.

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-05-15 21:33    [W:0.063 / U:0.016 seconds]