SubjectRe: [patch 13/17] Immediate Values - x86 Optimization (updated)
* H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com) wrote:
> Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
>> Hrm, since even the nmi-safe version supports REX-prefixed instructions,
>> there is no need for an =q constraint on single-byte immediate values
>> anymore. (thanks to your "discard" section used in the nmi-safe version)
>
> WRONG!
>
> Using =r for single-byte values is incorrect for 32-bit code -- that would
> permit %spl, %bpl, %sil, %dil which are illegal in 32-bit mode. That is not
> the incorrect bit, it's the description that is confused.
>
> -hpa

Ah, right. I remembered there was something that made us use =q, but
could not remember what. I'll describe it correctly.

Therefore, this updated patch is bogus. The original one was ok, given
that we change the header to :

Immediate Values - x86 Optimization

x86 optimization of the immediate values which uses a movl with code patching
to set/unset the value used to populate the register used as variable source.

Note : a movb needs to get its value froma =q constraint.

Quoting "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>

Using =r for single-byte values is incorrect for 32-bit code -- that would
permit %spl, %bpl, %sil, %dil which are illegal in 32-bit mode.

Changelog:
- Use text_poke_early with cr0 WP save/restore to patch the bypass. We are doing
non atomic writes to a code region only touched by us (nobody can execute it
since we are protected by the imv_mutex).
- Put imv_set and _imv_set in the architecture independent header.
- Use $0 instead of %2 with (0) operand.
- Add x86_64 support, ready for i386+x86_64 -> x86 merge.
- Use asm-x86/asm.h.
- Bugfix : 8 bytes 64 bits immediate value was declared as "4 bytes" in the
immediate structure.
- Change the immediate.c update code to support variable length opcodes.
- Vastly simplified, using a busy looping IPI with interrupts disabled.
Does not protect against NMI nor MCE.
- Pack the __imv section. Use smallest types required for size (char).
- Use imv_* instead of immediate_*.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2008-04-10 01:23    [W:0.217 / U:0.548 seconds]