SubjectRe: [patch 09/17] Add all cpus option to stop machine run
On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 10:10:10PM +0400, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> I continue to think that all this so-called "immediate" infrastructure
> is an absolute overkill and declared D-cache line savings will _never_
> matter

You are quite wrong on that.

> and will never be measured on real life workloads. Right now you
> claim 1 (one) cacheline saving in schedule() which can be trivially

That is just an example. Once the infrastructure is in a lot more
flags would move it into it. I think eventually most sysctls
should be immediate values for once.

> Also, my gut feeling of a guy who is also on receiveing end of bugreports
> at SWsoft that line with .text games was crossed by SMP alternatives and

You already lost -- Linux regularly rewrites itself. Ok not quite yet
but self modifying code is already wide spread and happens commonly
(e.g. with alternatives and some other cases)

> And bugs when CPU executed bullshit and silently rebooted.

So far nobody has seen that and the probably of it actually happening
is rather remote too.

> And so on.
>
> Alexey, more and more liking OpenBSD
> where such games won't even
> hit mailing lists

Maybe that is why Linux scales to large systems and OpenBSD
doesn't ...

-Andi

  Last update: 2008-04-09 20:23    [W:0.168 / U:0.360 seconds]