SubjectRe: VM - a plenty of inactive memory
Hi Johannes,

i know this. But why the kernel locks that memory for a so long time
(2 days now)? Is there a way to enforce the reclaiming? And how can i
find out, which process owns that memory. The problem is, that i can't
accept, that the free memory fell down to 50MB, when i have 24GB in
the nirvana. The system was recently very close to the awkward
situation to swap to disk, and i bet it will do so in the next few
days, because it happened before. Unintelligible, if one got that much
ram.

Bye, Andreas

2008/4/9, Johannes Weiner <hannes@saeurebad.de>:
> Hi,
>

> "Andreas Grimm" <agrimm61@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > i got a weird problem with one of my servers. It's a Intel SR2500AL
> > with 32GB of RAM.
> > Looking at the memory usage of the system, something is going totally
> > wrong. The crucial numbers from /proc/meminfo are:
> >
> > MemTotal: 33265916 kB
> > MemFree: 416168 kB
> > Inactive: 24630428 kB (24GB? whooaaa)
> >
> > Another system with only 16GB, same amount of users and load, shows a
> > more normal behaviour:
> >
> > MemTotal: 16619808 kB
> > MemFree: 6912676 kB
> > Inactive: 1774364 kB
> >
> > Why does the 32GB-System have this plenty of inactive memory. Is there
> > a way to find out, what the kernel is holding in readiness (that's the
> > definition of inactive memory afaik)?
>

> Inactive pages are marked in use but haven't been touched for some time.
> These are candidates for memory reclaiming.
>
> If nothing memory consuming happens, the kswapd should reclaim them back
> eventually.
>
> Hannes

  Last update: 2008-04-09 16:01    [W:1.107 / U:1.208 seconds]