    SubjectRe: [regression] e1000e broke e1000 (was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] e1000 toe1000e migration of PCI Express devices)

    * Brandeburg, Jesse <jesse.brandeburg@intel.com> wrote:

    > your expectation is that e1000 once loaded on this device in a
    > previous kernel (2.6.24) so it should continue to work, right? [...]

    correct.

    > > the eth0 interface is not detected at all:
    > > http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/dmesg.e1000.bad
    >
    > if you're running a no module kernel, you'll need to set
    > CONFIG_E1000E=y for your device to be detected.

    there should be no need for me to set something that the kernel can do
    itself as well ...

    > If there is a more reasonable solution you can come up with I am
    > interested.

    i think the solution is obvious and simple: if e1000 is built-in then
    e1000e should not be allowed to be a module. (i.e. it should either be
    built-in in which case it will handle the PCI IDs, or it should be
    disabled - in which case e1000 will handle them.)

    that way e1000e can take over the PCI IDs but we'll never get a
    non-working system, which takes an hour for a kernel hacker to figure
    out. The failure was totally silent. eth0 didnt show up at all.

    Btw., a sidenote: this is another generally annoying property of Linux:
    there's no easy and user-visible enumeration of PCI IDs (devices) that
    we _could_ support but dont enable for some reason. It is a royal PITA
    to track down when some driver decides to (silently) ignore a piece of
    hardware.

    Having a seemingly dead piece of hardware component is one of the most
    frustrating user experiences possible - the first instinctive reaction
    is "did my hw break???". The kernel should proactively know about all
    inactive pieces of hardware and should have a one-stop-shop for users
    where they can reassure themselves which devices are not active and why.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2008-04-08 22:03    [W:4.177 / U:0.240 seconds]