SubjectRe: GFP_ATOMIC page allocation failures.
Date
On Friday 04 April 2008 20:52, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 April 2008 05:18, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >> Turning to Nick's comment,

> >> then create a counter or acculuation buffer somewhere.
> >>
> >> We don't need spew every time there is memory pressure of this
> >> magnitude.
> >
> > Not a complete solution. Counter would be nice, but you need backtraces
> > and want a way to more proactively warn the user/tester/developer.
> >
> > I agree that I don't exactly like adding nowarns around, and I don't
> > think places like driver writers should have to know about this stuff.
>
> What about reverse ratelimiting: If the limit is reached, a backtrace will
> be generated (and, off cause, positively ratelimited)?

I was thinking about that. I got as far as writing a simple patch to
printk so that it would not start to trigger until it gets a 2nd event
within 'n' jiffies of the first.

But actually developers do sometimes want see the event even if it is
relatively infrequent...

  Last update: 2008-04-04 13:03    [W:0.042 / U:0.044 seconds]