    SubjectRe: Slow DOWN, please!!!
    Date
    On Wednesday, 30 of April 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Long merge windows don't work - because rather than test more, it just
    > > > means that people will use them to make more changes!
    > >
    > > And what do you think is happening _after_ the merge window closes, when
    > > we're supposed to be fixing bugs? People work on new code. And, in fact, they
    > > have to, if they want to be ready for the next merge window.
    >
    > Oh, I agree. But at that point, the issue you brought up - of testing and
    > then having the code change under you wildly - has at least gone away.
    >
    > And I think you are missing a big issue:
    >
    > > Sorry to say that, but I don't think this is realistic. What happens after the merge
    > > window is people go and develop new stuff.
    >
    > From a testing standpoint, the *developers* aren't ever even the main
    > issue. Yes, we get test coverage that way too, but we should really aim
    > for getting most of the non-obvious issues from the user community, and
    > not primarily from developers.
    >
    > So the whole point of the merge window is *not* to have developers testing
    > their code during the six subsequent weeks, but to have *users* able to
    > use -rc1 and report issues!
    >
    > That's why the distro "testing" trees are so important. And that's why
    > it's so important that -rc1 be timely.

    That's correct, but since developers are already working on new code at that
    point, the bug reports in fact distract them and make them go back to the "old"
    stuff, recall why they did that particular changes etc. As a result, the
    developers often do not take the bug reports seriously enough, especially if
    they do not finger the "guilty" change. That, in turn, makes the users believe
    there's no point in testing and reporting bugs.

    > > My point is, given the width of the merge windown, there's too much stuff
    > > going in during it. As far as I'm concerned, the window can be a week long
    > > or whatever, but let's make fewer commits over a unit of time.
    >
    > I'm not following that logic.
    >
    > A single merge will bring in easily thousands of commits. It doesn't
    > matter if the merge window is a day or a week or two weeks, the merge will
    > be one event.

    No, technically it doesn't.

    > And there's no way to avoid the fact that during the merge window, we will
    > get something on the order of ten thousand commits (eg 2.6.24->25-rc1 was
    > 9629 commits).

    Well, do we _have_ _to_ take that much? I know we _can_, but is this really
    necessary?

    > So your "fewer commits over a unit of time" doesn't make sense.

    Oh, yes it does. Equally well you could say that having brakes in a car
    didn't make sense, even if you could drive it as fast as the engine allowed
    you to. ;-)

    > We have those ten thousand commits. They need to go in. They cannot take
    > forever.

    But perhaps some of them can wait a bit longer.

    > Ergo, you *will* have a thousand commits a day during the merge window.

    That's only if you insist on handling everything what people push to you.

    > We can spread it out a bit (and I do to some degree), but in many ways
    > that is just going to be more painful. So it's actually easier if we can
    > get about half of the merges done early, so that people like Andrew then
    > has at least most of the base set for him by the first few days of the
    > merge window.
    >
    > So here's the math: 3,500 commits per month. That's just the *average*
    > speed, it's sometimes more. And we *cannot* merge them continuously,
    > because we need to have a stabler period for testing. And remember: those
    > 3,500 commits don't stop happening just because they aren't merged. You
    > should think of them as a constant pressure.
    >
    > So 3,500 commits per month, but with a stable period (that is *longer*
    > than the merge window) that means that the merge window needs to merge
    > that constant stream of commits *faster* than they happen, so that we can
    > then have that breather when we try to get users to test it. Let's say
    > that we have a 1:3 ratio (which is fairly close to what we have), and that
    > means that we need to merge 3,500 commits in a week.
    >
    > That's just simple *math*. So when you say "let's make fewer commits over
    > a unit of time" I can onyl shake my head and wonder what the hell you are
    > talking about. The merge window _needs_ to do those 3,500 commits per
    > week. Otherwise they don't get merged!

    Surely, they don't, but maybe they don't have to.

    You can technically handle merging even more, but what about quality? Do we
    have a quality assurance process in place? If we do, what is it? How is it
    able to handle the 3500 commits a week? Assuming it is, will it be able to
    handle more and what's the limit?

    IMO, there has to be a limit somewhere, or we will end up in a spiral driving
    everybody mad.

    Thanks,
    Rafael

      Last update: 2008-05-01 00:27    [W:2.987 / U:0.804 seconds]