SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.25-rc8

> > Those defconfigs would be much smaller and change much less often if
> > they could be expressed as a delta from some other defconfig. So we'd
> > end up with a small number of base defconfigs plus a set of board
> > defconfigs that would say effectively "use the options from that other
> > defconfig, plus turn this on and that off".
>
> IIRC, Fedora builds their kernels using such a mechanism, though it's
> done in the RPM specfile with a perl script. Maybe that's something to
> look at to start with.
kconfig allready allow you to override values simply by appending to
the end of the .config file.
So it is a matter of creating the proper stuff around to:
1) use it
2) make is simple to update defconfigs
A simple extract delta between two config

I'm not up to do that at the moment - but it is doable.
And I would hate to see the defconfig disappear just because
they are so visible in Linus' dirstat.
Sam

  Last update: 2008-04-03 20:21    [W:0.059 / U:0.016 seconds]