SubjectRe: [RFC][-mm] Add an owner to the mm_struct (v4)
Paul Menage wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Balbir Singh <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>> So far I've heard no objections or seen any review suggestions. Paul if you are
>> OK with this patch, I'll ask Andrew to include it in -mm.
>
> My only thoughts were:
>
> - I think I'd still prefer CONFIG_MM_OWNER to be auto-selected rather
> than manually configured, but it's not a huge deal either way.

It is auto-selected now by CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR in the latest patchset

> - in theory I think we should goto retry if we get to the end of
> mm_update_next_owner() without finding any other owner. Otherwise we
> could miss another user if we race with one process forking a new
> child and then exiting?

When we the current task is exiting and we've verified that we are mm->owner and
we cannot miss the new process since through the process of forking, it would
have added the new process to the tasklist before exiting.

> - I was looking through the exit code trying to convince myself that
> current is still on the tasklist until after it makes this call. If it
> isn't then we could have trouble finding the new owner. But I can't
> figure out for sure exactly at what point we come off the tasklist.

We come off the task list in __unhash_process(), which is in turn called by
release_task() through __exit_signal().

> - I think we only need the cgroup callback in the event that
> current->cgroups != new_owner->cgroups. (Hmm, have we already been
> moved back to the root cgroup by this point? If so, then we'll have no
> way to know which cgruop to unaccount from).

I checked to see that cgroup_exit is called after mm_update_new_owner(). We call
mm_update_new_owner() from exit_mm(). I did not check for current->cgroups !=
new_owner->cgroups, since I did not want to limit the callbacks. An interested
callback can make that check and no-op the callback.

I am going to change the rcu_read_lock(), so that it is released after we take
the task_lock() and repost the patch

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh

  Last update: 2008-04-03 06:09    [W:0.070 / U:0.152 seconds]