SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
Date
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 03:06:23PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
>> Willy Tarreau wrote:
>>> I have nothing against changing the default setting to 4k provided that
>>> it is easy to get back to the save setting
>> So you're saying that only advanced users who understand all their
>> CONFIG options should have the safe settings? And everyone else
>> the "only explodes once a week" mode?
>>
>> For me that is exactly the wrong way around.
>>
>> If someone is sure they know what they're doing they can set whatever
>> crazy settings they want (given there is a quick way to check
>> for the crazy settings in oops reports so that I can ignore those), but
>> the default should be always safe and optimized for reliability.
>
> That means we'll have nearly zero testing of the "crazy setting" and
> when someone tries it he'll have a high probability of running into some
> problems.
>
> Such a "crazy setting" shouldn't be offered to users at all.
>
> We should either aim at 4k stacks unconditionally for all 32bit
> architectures with 4k page size or don't allow any architecture
> to offer 4k stacks.

I have suggested before that the solution is to allocate memory in
"stack size" units (obviously must be a multiple of the hardware page
size). The reason allocation fails is more often fragmentation than
actual lack of memory, or so it has been reported.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

  Last update: 2008-04-28 19:53    [W:0.228 / U:0.272 seconds]