SubjectRe: 2.6.25 slow boot/reboot
Allan Duncan wrote:
> Sergio Luis wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This weekend I got some time and decided to try out 2.6.25, but its
>> booting process was _really_ slow in my laptop[1]. With 'old' 2.6.24.5
>> my machine would take about 48 secs until it gave me the login prompt.
>> And it would take about 22 seconds to reboot.
>>
>> With 2.6.25 I got from Linus git tree, my system takes about 4 min and
>> 40 secs to boot. Sometimes looks like the system just freezes for a
>> while, and then it continues the boot process. Rebooting also seems
>> problematic here. After almost 3 minutes I had asked the system to
>> reboot, it was still there. I typed reboot again and it then rebooted
>> right away, weirdly.
>
> I wonder if this relates to my 2.6.25 booting problem:
> I use lilo, v22.5.9, and with 2.6.25 the boot process stalls part way
> through,
> then retries, etc for up to six attempts before succeeding. When I can get
> the latest lilo to compile I'll try that, but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> I get a display like "LILO............." and then the hang. It is about
> 14 dots,
> normally about twice that many before I get a new line and a message about
> BIOS check succeeding.

Now that I have rebooted I can be more accurate - the line says:

_and_ the problem is temperature dependant. Once the box is warmed up it
momentarily pauses at the halting point above, when cold (below 10C) it
fails to get past this sticking point at all. 2.6.24.2 Just Works.

  Last update: 2008-04-28 03:59    [W:0.026 / U:0.116 seconds]