SubjectRe: Voyager phys_cpu_present_map compile error
On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 05:44:26PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Pavel Machek wrote:
>>
>> I guess Adrian is trying to say:
>>
>> 'That code is in tree, so it should compile and run. He can't verify
>> it runs, but he's trying to make sure it at least compiles.'
>>
>> For 'normal' users it is not a problem.
>> Pavel
>
> This is fine, except it is an unreasonable request when there are fewer
> existing machines than people contributing to this tree. For a lot of
> people, compile bandwidth is what is limiting their ability to
> contribute.

I'm not claiming it was the end of the world if someone accidentally
breaks Voyager.

But Ingo wanted me to stop to sometimes compile test Voyager.

> James has offered to fix up Voyager breakage a posteori, and that is the
> appropriate action for a niche architecture like this.

I'm still not getting the point why we should ever wait for James for
doing things like
- select HAVE_ARCH_KGDB
+ select HAVE_ARCH_KGDB if !X86_VOYAGER

And the other compile breakages we had recently weren't much worse.

I fully agree that it makes sense that Voyager problems should not be
showstoppers and that James is the one capable and responsible of fixing
non-trivial issues.

> -hpa

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-04-27 03:09    [W:0.055 / U:0.044 seconds]