SubjectAnnounce: Semaphore-Removal tree

It's been a Good Idea for a while to use mutexes instead of
semaphores where possible. Additional debuggability, better optimised,
better-enforced semantics, etc.

Obviously, there are some places that can't be converted to mutexes.
I'm not proposing blind changes. I've been through a dozen places
and found some that can be converted to spinlocks, others to
completions, but mostly to mutexes. So as not to lose these patches,
I've made them available as a git tree. I think the right way to get
these patches in will be to go through the maintainers of each file.

I'll post a list of the places using semaphores later. My current list
is a bit out of date and contains insulting comments that I would like
to rephrase before the authors of the code in question see them ;-)

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/misc.git;a=shortlog;h=semaphore-removal

Stephen, could you pick these patches up for linux-next?

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/willy/misc.git semaphore-removal

a retrograde step."

  Last update: 2008-04-25 19:03    [W:0.108 / U:0.200 seconds]