SubjectRe: [microblaze-uclinux] Re: microblaze syscall list
Hi Michal, Arnd,

Michal Simek wrote:

>>> .long sys_read
>>> .long sys_write
>>> .long sys_open /* 5 */
>> Since we have all the new sys_*at calls like openat, we don't really
>> need the old versions any more. The kernel implementation of sys_open
>> basically calls openat. You could do the same in libc instead.
>> Don't know if that's worth it though, opinions?
>
> I looked at it and there are the different arguments for open and openat
> syscalls. Implementation is almost the same. I keep it now.

Please remember that MicroBlaze has been around as an arch for > 4
years, just not in the kernel.org tree. These older style syscall
interfaces are all part of the uClibc and glibc ports for MicroBlaze.

While I understand that there are shiny new ways of doing all this
stuff, please don't break our C libraries, toolchains and all else. A
MicroBlaze arch in kernel.org that isn't actually supported by a C
library or toolchain is not much use either!

Can we compromise and say that the new syscall interfaces will be added
if they are currently missing, but older interfaces retained until the
libs and toolchains catch up?

John

  Last update: 2008-04-25 12:05    [W:1.113 / U:1.528 seconds]