    SubjectRe: 2.6.25-git2: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at ffffffffffffffff

    On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Jiri Slaby wrote:

    > Blah, sorry, I lived in a theory, that Rafael got one from 2.6.25 and no,
    > really, he had -git2 applied. Mea culpa, anyway I'll test 2.6.25 too, just for
    > sure.

    No problem. I do think this is a post-2.6.25 thing, because I don't think
    we've ever seen it before that.

    There is a 2.6.25-rc8-mm2 report, but that was a -mm tree that had a lot
    of the stuff that was merged after 2.6.25, so I'm pretty sure that counts
    as "post" too. If it wasn't, we'd be seeing a lot more of this.

    > Not really. I have no idea what triggers it. Seems like suspend is some kind
    > of catalyzer not working every time.

    I don't think suspend/resume is sufficient, because I've tried to
    reproduce it here (and I tried your test program too) on my macmini, and
    it's not happening. So there almost certainly something else too required
    to trigger it.

    Btw, how do you suspend/resume? That matters, because I've been testing
    just the normal

    echo mem > /sys/power/state

    and with a kernel where everything is compiled-in. But if you use the GUI
    suspend, on a common distro, I think that one ends up doing a whole lot
    more, including doing things like unloading and reloading modules, and for
    all we know the problem is not about suspend itself, but about the things
    going on around it.

    And it might be a module unload issue, rather than the suspend itself (the
    same way I theorized that it might be a ifconfig down/up rather than the
    suspend code itself). Who knows..

    It might also very well be hardware-specific. You guys seem to have
    different wireless setups (ath5k vs b43) but it migth be generic 80211
    code, but it might also be something *totally* unrelated, and the only
    reason wireless has shown up might be that networking is just in use when
    the problem happens.

    Jiri, Zdenek, Rafael, could you try to compare hardware with each other
    and see if there is some pattern there?

    (And btw, the program you used that allocates a hundred meg and tries to
    find it - I'm assuming you're not paging or anythign like that, ie you're
    not even close to out-of-memory. If that isn't correct, holler. I'm trying
    to reproduce this thing).

    Linus

      Last update: 2008-04-25 01:49    [W:3.371 / U:0.880 seconds]