SubjectRe: [Broken] PCI: clean up resource alignment management

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Jeff Chua wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 5:59 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
> > > Yes, exactly. My fault - I somehow missed the cardbus stuff...
> > Ok, this patch looks sane, but ..
> > Patch entirely UNTESTED!
>
> I just tested Linus's patch and it works.

Thanks, and I could test it myself (without any actual card, but at least
I could see the failure to even set up the bridge, and the fix).

So I committed it.

When we did the original commit that caused this, we had considered having
a separate "alignment" value, but I had discarded it because I didn't
think there was any actual hardware that could even use it. But this
cardbus thing shows that I was wrong - the two bits may have been clever,
and it works no worse than the old setup (and slightly better), but I
think the separate alignment field would probably have been better.

Anyway, it's probably not worth worrying about now. It's not like we've
ever _needed_ the finer-granularity alignment, so I think we're ok with
the current setup, but if we ever decide to add the alignment field after
all, somebody should remind me/Ink about the cardbus thing.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-04-23 03:29    [W:0.050 / U:1.768 seconds]