SubjectRe: EDD problem -- regression -- crash on booting by probing EDD
Date
As I tested yesterday extensively, the problem wasn't present at 2.6.24-rc5-git6 (SYS Linux 0.17 install DVD) nor at 2.6.24-rc6-git2 (SYS 0.19) ,  but at 2.6.24-rc6-git8 (SYS 0.20-rc1 and 0.20-rc2) and 2.6.25 (0.21-r3).

The whole compiled packages of these kernels still are at copaya.yi.org/tgz , but I extracted the important parts, see enclosed here. The .tar.bz2 file contains the config and the protocoll of the compilation (inclusive warning / error messages).

As you can see, the diff between the config of 2.6.24-rc6-git2 and -git8 is nothing. That means: THE ERROR ENTERED INTO THE KERNEL BETWEEN THESE TWO GITs !!

You may also analyze the error/warning messages. Please observe that the error message just at the beginning was already subject of another reclamation mine together with another person, and seems to have be corrected.

I inform still about the following: As I make many experients and also install Linux often for firnds and neighbours, I see steady-steady some kernel errors, but have normally no time to track them, in the house of the persons. That error here, I saw already several times, and never it helped the edd=off option. Yesterday it happened that a friend brought a laptop (ACER Aspire 7004WSMi) to me, after he was unsuccessfull to install SYS 0.21-r3 dvd with 2.6.25-rc7 . Then I tracked that problem during about 5 hours, inclusively trying a lot of different kernel options. edd=off don't work at all, with no of the affected kernels. With 2.6.24-rc6-git2 and earlier kernels the problem didnt appear, even without edd=off option, and with the later kernels it appears, even with edd=off . With pci=off , also the recent kernels boots -- but this is useless because the system don't find any hard disk. acpi=off or hwprobe=off have no influence on that problem.

Pls search that error and repair it !
********** YOU SHOULD MAKE AN EXTRA KERNEL OPTION, WHAT IGNORES THE HARDWARE AND CONTINUES TO BOOT, like pci=off, BUT WHAT DETECTS CD ROMS, HARD DISKS SATA / IDE / RAID , AND WHAT PERMITS TO USE THE COMPUTER NORMALLY AT LEAST IN VESA-FB OR FBDEV MODE !!!!! *************

As there has no other solution, I released last night SYS 0.21-r4 DVD , what contains both, the 2.6.25 , and alternatively 2.6.24-rc6-git2 , so that people can use them computer anyway / anyhow : ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/install/sys/

I can put the suggested debug, generally, in the kernel command line of my SYS install DVD. However, the person gone with his laptop so that at the moment I cannot test it; I have to wait if the same problem occurs on another computer.

Werner Landgraf

Linux SYS

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/SYS-34168.shtml

annexed: 1 file
On 22/Abr/2008 11:21 Matt Domsch wrote ..
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 06:28:40AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:33:32 -0300 (GFT) "werner" <werner@copaya.yi.org> wrote:
> > > There is a regression in 2.6.25.
> >
> > Rafael bcc'ed.
> >
> > > Booting stops with: Probing EDD (edd=off to disable) message.
> > >
> > > It dont work the kernel boot parameter edd=off . With pci=off the computer
> continues to boot, but later it dont find hard disks etc.
> >
> > Tim and Matt cc'ed.
> >
> > > Thats happening on 2.6.25 definitive, but was verified to go back until 2.6.24-rc6-git8,
> but it wasnt yet at 2.6.24-rc6-git2 which worked correctly.
> > >

> > hm, that's a nice narrow window. Unfortunately for the next few days I
> > can't personally get in and find out what we changed during it.
>
> I've scanned the diff between these, and can't see anything that would
> obviously cause a problem. Nothing that touches the EDD codepath
> directly at least. I'll be curious to see the additional initcall
> debug data.
>
> --
> Matt Domsch
> Linux Technology Strategist, Dell Office of the CTO
> linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux
[unhandled content-type:application/x-tbz]

  Last update: 2008-04-23 02:27    [W:0.681 / U:5.096 seconds]