    SubjectRe: [Broken] PCI: clean up resource alignment management
    Date
    On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 3:13 pm Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > (In fact, I think cardbus bridges have a much more flexible alignment
    > > than that size thing, and can be aligned at finer granularity, but I
    > > forget the exact details, and since we didn't add a special "alignment"
    > > field, we can't take advantage of it anyway).
    >
    > Yeah, I double-checked: the IO alignment is 4 bytes, the MEM alignment is
    > 4k.
    >
    > So if we had a separate alignment word we could use that, but in the
    > meantime I think IORESOURCE_SIZEALIGN is good enough, and a bit more
    > readable than the STARTALIGN thing.
    >
    > Now we just need to have somebody test it. It turns out that I no longer
    > have any Cardbus cards, since my laptops now all have built-in wireless.
    > Boo hiss for me.

    I may be in the same boat, I'll have to dig around and see if I have any...
    That said, I think an explicit alignment field would make things even cleaner
    (and like you said allow us to take advantage of bus specific alignment
    better).

    Jesse

      Last update: 2008-04-23 00:55    [W:2.481 / U:0.200 seconds]