SubjectRE: Talking to parallel port in 2.6 kernel without using parport
Date
Alan,

Thanks for your response. I had some shifting priorities, but I finally had
a chance to try your suggestion. Unfortunately I am still having trouble.
In my init routine, I do:

dev = MKDEV(MY_MAJOR, 0);
status = register_chrdev_region(dev, 1, MY_DEVNAME);
if (status < 0)
{
printk(KERN_ERR "pp: unable to get major %d\n", MY_MAJOR);
return - EIO;
}
else
printk(KERN_INFO "pp: major number= %d\n", MY_MAJOR);

printk(KERN_INFO "pp: Adding character device\n");
cdev_init(&chrdev, &pp_fops);
chrdev.owner = THIS_MODULE;
chrdev.ops = &pp_fops;
status = cdev_add (&chrdev, dev, 1);
if (status < 0)
{
printk(KERN_ERR "pp: unable to add device %d to system. status =
%d\n", MY_MAJOR, status);
return -ENODEV;
}
printk(KERN_INFO "pp: registering with parport\n");
if (parport_register_driver(&ppdrv))
{
printk(KERN_ERR "pp: unable to register driver with parport\n");
unregister_chrdev(mymajor, MY_DEVNAME);
return -EIO;
}

my_parport = parport_find_base(DATA);
if (!my_parport)
{
printk(KERN_WARNING "pp: no associated port!");
return -ENXIO;
}
else
{
printk(KERN_INFO "pp: Found base 0x%x for parport device %s number %d
module state = %d ref count=%d flags = 0x%x\n",
DATA, my_parport->name, my_parport->number,
my_parport->ops->owner->state,
my_parport->ops->owner->ref[0].count,
my_parport->physport->flags);
}
table[0].dev = parport_register_device(my_parport, MY_DEVNAME, NULL,
NULL, NULL, PARPORT_FLAG_EXCL, (void *) &table[0]);
if (table[0].dev == NULL)
{
printk(KERN_ERR "pp: Error registering device\n");
return;
}
else
printk(KERN_INFO "pp: Registered device with parport\n");

Everthing happens as expected, except that the parport_register_device fails
returning NULL.

One of our engineers downloaded source code a while back from
linux-2.6.18-rc7, but I am not sure how close that is to what is installed
on my system (uname -r returns 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6. When I set my printk to 8
(echo 8 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk), there are no messages shown on the
failure. According to the source code I have, the only silent failure in
parport_register_device is:

If (!try_module_get(port->ops->owner)) {
return NULL;
}

The printk debug I have following the parport_find_base gives the following
result:

pp: Found base 0x378 for parport device parport0 number 0, module state = 0
ref count=1 flags=0x0
pp: Error registering device

When I change the flags from PARPORT_FLAG_EXCL to 0 in the call to
parport_register_device, the call returns a non-zero to indicate success.

Can you tell me what I am missing? Where can I get the actual source code
that goes with this version to further unravel this?

Thanks in advance for your help! Please CC me.

Kathy Frazier