SubjectRe: ISDN testing
Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 21 April 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Frans Pop wrote:
>>> The cards I have are:
>>> - Teles 16.3 ISA -- worked way back when with Debian Woody
>>> - ITK ix1-micro 2.1 ISA
>>> - Eicon Diva 2.01 PCI
>> Honestly, a module-load test on real hardware can give us some useful
>> information, even if it's not connected to anything.
>>
>> My changes are primarily in the probe-the-hardware area, so successfully
>> making it past that new code would indeed be a useful data point.
>>
>> Check out the kernel found in 'isdn-pci' branch of
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/misc-2.6.git
>
> Turns out all 3 cards are supported by the same basic driver: hisax, so
> I can only test for the one driver. The Eicon Diva uses an additional
> module though: hisaxdiva.
>
> I've put the last 2 cards in one machine and (after some fiddling with
> jumpers and interrupts and IO ports :-) both are detected perfectly with
> 2.6.24 when hisax is modprobed.
>
> Advantage of using the two cards is that it covers both PCI and ISA.
> The PCI card gets configured automagically, while the ISA card requires
> module parameters for io/irq.
>
> I've compiled a kernel based on your 'isdn-pci' branch, and it boots fine.
>
> But when I tried to modprobe hisax, I got:
> # modprobe hisax
> FATAL: Module hisax not found.
>
> Cause seems to be:
> # depmod -a
> WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/hisaxdiva.ko
> ignored, due to loop
> WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/libhisax.ko
> ignored, due to loop
> WARNING: Loop
> detected: /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/hisax.ko needs
> libhisax.ko which needs hisax.ko again!
> WARNING: Module /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/hisax.ko
> ignored, due to loop

Yeah, that's what my patchset does -- splits the "hisax" driver into
multiple smaller drivers. Thus, "modprobe hisax" produces the results
that you are seeing.

You'll need to determine which newly-created kernel module applies to
your hardware. Let me know if you need help with that. The new drivers
should be in /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/
provided that you enabled them in the kernel configuration.

Jeff

  Last update: 2008-04-21 21:25    [W:0.058 / U:0.580 seconds]