    SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
    > The code in the kernel that gets the fewest coverage at all are our
    > error paths, and some vendor might try 4k stacks, validate it works in
    > all use cases - and then it will blow up in some error condition he
    > didn't test.

    Which you won't fix by changing the x86 defaults. More of a problem in
    embedded small devices is the 8K allocation failing in the first place -
    plus 4K x 80 processes == lots.

    > And from a QA point of view the only way of getting 4k thoroughly tested
    > by users, and well also tested in -rc kernels for catching regressions
    > before they get into stable kernels, is if we get 4k stacks enabled
    > unconditionally on i386.

    At which point some distros will simply patch it back no doubt.

      Last update: 2008-04-20 13:35    [W:3.916 / U:0.028 seconds]