SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 22:01:46 +0200
Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:

> > These are real customer workloads; java based "many things going
> > on" at a time showed several thousands of threads fin the system (a
> > dozen or two per request, multiplied by the number of outstanding
> > connections) for *real customers*.
>
> Several thousands or 50k? Several thousands sounds large, but not
> entirely unreasonable, but it is far from 50k.

it is you who keeps putting up the 50k argument.
What I'm talking about is in the 10k to 20k range; and that is actual workloads
by real customers.

> > That you don't take that serious, fair, you can take serious
> > whatever you want.
>
> No I don't take 50k threads on 32bit serious. And I hope you do not
> either.

[ removed a bunch of stuff about 50k again ]

> > was the observation that fragmentation is fundamentally unsolvable.
>
> Where was that observation?

it was in the commit message from me you quoted, and was rather widely discussed at the time.
It's also basic math; the Linux VM gets to deal with both short and long lasting allocations;
no matter how hard you try to get some degree of fragmentation; especially due to the
15:1 acceleration you get due to the lowmem issue.

And before you say "you should use 64 bit on such machines"; I would love it if more people used 64 bit linux.
Sadly the adoption rate of that is not very good still.... by far ;(

> > Yes 2.4 sucked a lot more than 2.6 does. But even 2.6 will (and
> > does) have fragmentation issues. We don't have effective physical
> > address based reclaim yet for higher order allocs.
>
> I don't see any evidence that there are serious order 1 fragmentation
> issues on 2.6.

I assume you're not asking me to give you customer confidential data from a previous job in public ;)

>If you have any please post it.

just like you're posting the evidence that 4k stacks overflows?

Google scores:

1-order allocation failed 54000 pages
do_IRQ: stack overflow 4560 pages

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-04-21 00:37    [W:0.171 / U:0.052 seconds]