SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
On Sun, 20 April 2008 19:19:26 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> But these are SoC systems. Do they really run x86?
> (note we're talking about an x86 default option here)
>
> Also I suspect in a true 16MB system you have to strip down
> everything kernel side so much that you're pretty much outside
> the "validated by testers" realm that Adrian cares about.

Maybe. I merely showed that embedded people (not me) have good reasons
to care about small stacks. Whether they care enough to actually spend
work on it - doubtful.

> > When dealing in those dimensions, savings of 100k are substantial. In
> > some causes they may be the difference between 16MiB or 32MiB, which
> > translates to manufacturing costs. In others it simply means that the
> > system can cache
>
> If you need the stack you don't have any less cache foot print.
> If you don't need it you don't have any either.

This part I don't understand.

Jörn

--
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in
there, chill them niggers out and wait for the Wolf, who should be