SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:05:40 -0500
Eric Sandeen <sandeen@sandeen.net> wrote:

> 4K just happens to be the page size; other than that it's really just
> some random/magic number picked, and now dictated that if you (and
> everyting around you) doesn't fit, you're broken.

it wasn't randomly picked; it was based on 2.4 kernels
(where we had 8kb, but that was roughly 2.5Kb or so for the task struct,
which was on stack back then, then 4Kb for user context and 2Kb for IRQ context)

> That bugs me.

yes. Adrian is waay off in the weeds on this one. Nobody but him is suggesting to remove
8Kb stacks. I think everyone else agrees that having both options is valuable; and there
are better ways to find+fix stack bloat than removing this config option.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-04-20 17:45    [W:0.148 / U:1.124 seconds]