SubjectRe: x86: 4kstacks default
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 09:05:40AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > But the more users will get 4k stacks the more testing we have, and the
> > better both existing and new bugs get shaken out.
> >
> > And if there were only 4k stacks in the vanilla kernel, and therefore
> > all people on i386 testing -rc kernels would get it, that would give a
> > better chance of finding stack regressions before they get into a
> > stable kernel.
>
> Heck, maybe you should make it 2k by default in all -rc kernels; that
> way when people run -final with the 4k it'll be 100% bulletproof, right?
> 'cause all those piggy drivers that blow a 2k stack will finally have
> to get fixed?

I'm arguing for aiming at having all 32bit architectures with 4k page
size using the same stack size. Not for having -rc kernels differ from
release kernels.

> Or leave it at 2k and find a way to share pages for
> stacks, think how much memory you could save and how many java threads
> you could run!

The only architecture that already defaults to 4k stacks is m68knommu,
and I doubt they do it for many java threads...

> -Eric

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-04-20 16:25    [W:0.130 / U:0.944 seconds]