SubjectRe: BUG: soft lockup detected on Phenom with Debian 2.6.24-4
Date
[apologies if you receive this email twice; apparently the exchange
server
this message was sent through previously triggered one of lkml's taboo
expressions]

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:00:15 +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:

> I have a system with an "AMD64 Phenom 9500" quad core cpu, 4GB RAM,
> "ASUS M3A32 MVP Deluxe wifi" motherboard with latest vendor BIOS
(0801).

> I tried stock debian etch kernel (Debian 2.6.18.dfsg.1-18etch1),
machine
> froze with no message, debian etch backport kernel same, and then
> Debian 2.6.24-4 from unstable and I got some messages: machine
> is not frozen but some userland processes are (ps says "Dl" state
> with child in "Zs" state) and "events/3" is taking 100% cpu
> according to top:
>
> 18 root 15 -5 0 0 0 R 100 0.0 74:59.46 events/3
>
> Got to the same state with ubuntu hardy 2.6.24-8-server kernel. All
> kernels are untainted, no X running anyway.
>
> It takes a few hours of doing some stuff, in my case bootstraping or
> testing GCC at -j 4, and then the problem happens.
>
> I did 32 hours of memtest without issue on this system, temperatures
> are very low and the case has plenty of airflow, making memory
> issue less likely.

I have a very similar, if not the same issue:

I just bought a HP Pavillion 6332 with a Phenom 9500 quad core cpu and
3GB RAM on some ASUS-like looking mainboard with NVidia MCP61 chipset
(actually my first PC not assembled from components myself).
I installed OpenSUSE 10.3 64bit and tried various kernels (2.6.24.4,
2.6.23.17 + the erratum298-workaround from AMD, OpenSUSE's default
2.6.22.5-31 and 2.6.22.17-0.1), but the machine will hang within less
than an hour of intense OpenMP load over all four cores (using a
homemade scientific application).

The symptoms of the hang are similar to what Laurent saw: In xosview,
the load display one cpu would get stuck (not necessarily at 100%), and
usually (but not always) ps would hang in the middle of its output. I
could still login (no X running here either) and use the remaining
cores,
but the OpenMP application would hang in an unkillable state (don't
know which as ps gets stuck). Unlike Laurent, I however don't see
anything relevant in the syslog.

Occasionally I also had wrong output from the program (i.e., running it
twice gives different results, one of them bogus), although that was on
32bit OpenSUSE 10.3, as far as I remember. I know due to the nature of
OpenMP this could as well be a bug in my program, but it has not yet
happened on any other machine.

The system is well vented and very cool, but as of yet I only had time
to run memtest for 6 hours (no errors found).

If anybody has an idea how to debug this, please ask for more
information, otherwise I'll just return this machine for refund.

Thanks,
Tim

  Last update: 2008-04-02 21:37    [W:0.091 / U:0.036 seconds]