SubjectRe: kmemcheck caught read from freed memory (cfq_free_io_context)
On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 06:15:52PM +0200, Vegard Nossum wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 02:01:13PM +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> > > No, kmemcheck is work in progress and does not know about
> > > SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU yet. The reason I asked Vegard to post the warning
> > > was because Peter, Vegard, and myself identified this particular
> > > warning as a real problem. But yeah, kmemcheck can cause false
> > > positives for RCU for now.
> >
> > Would the following be an appropriate fix? It seems to me to be in
> > the same spirit as the existing check for s->ctor.
>
> In my opinion, no.
>
> It would fix the false positives, but would in fact also hide cases
> such as this one with cfq, e.g. the real cases of mis-use.

Though this case apparently does not qualify as misuse until such
time as CLONE_IO is implemented.

And doesn't the current check for ->ctor also potentially hide misuse?

> Peter Zijlstra suggested this:
> > It would have to register an call_rcu callback itself in order to mark
> > it freed - and handle the race with the object being handed out again.
>
> I will try to look into this -- for now, I need to understand RCU
> first (I've seen your LWN articles -- great work! :-))

Glad you liked them!

And Peter's suggested approach would indeed be more accurate. But I
will still put my patch forward as a stopgap. ;-)

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2008-04-02 19:03    [W:0.115 / U:0.076 seconds]