SubjectRe: kmemcheck caught read from freed memory (cfq_free_io_context)
On Wed, Apr 02 2008, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Paul E. McKenney
> <paulmck@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> > I will check this when I get back to some bandwidth -- but in the meantime,
> > does kmemcheck special-case SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU? It is legal to access
> > newly-freed items in that case, as long as you did rcu_read_lock()
> > before gaining a reference to them and don't hold the reference past
> > the matching rcu_read_unlock().
>
> No, kmemcheck is work in progress and does not know about
> SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU yet. The reason I asked Vegard to post the warning
> was because Peter, Vegard, and myself identified this particular
> warning as a real problem. But yeah, kmemcheck can cause false
> positives for RCU for now.

Makes sense, and to me Pauls analysis of the code looks totally correct
- there's no bug there, at least related to hlist traversal and
kmem_cache_free(), since we are under rcu_read_lock() and thus hold off
the grace for freeing.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2008-04-02 13:09    [W:0.351 / U:0.012 seconds]