Subjectcore_pattern pipe documentation
From
Andi,

I wrote the following description of the core_pattern pipe feature. Does this
seem okay?

Piping core dumps to a program
Since kernel 2.6.19, Linux supports an alternate syntax
for the /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern file. If the first
character of this file is a pipe symbol (|), then the
remainder of the line is interpreted as a program to be
executed. Instead of being written to a disk file, the
core dump is given as standard input to the program.
Note the following points:

* The program must be specified using an absolute path-
name (or a pathname relative to the root directory,
/), and must immediately follow the '|' character.

* The process created to run the program runs as user
and group root.

* Arguments can be supplied to the program, delimited by
white space (up to a total line length of 128 bytes).

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk
Want to report a man-pages bug? Look here:

  Last update: 2008-04-18 17:43    [W:0.079 / U:0.728 seconds]