SubjectRe: [v2.6.26] what's brewing in x86.git for v2.6.26
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:30:00 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:

> * Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:23:38 +0200 Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>
> > How much of this has not been in linux-next?
>
> none.

That's a relief. Please keep it this way - I plan on basing -mm on
linux-next after 2.6.26-rc1 and that should prevent reoccurrences.

> but we do much more testing than just getting code into other trees. We
> cross-build 96 different configurations on other non-x86 architectures:
>
> http://www.tglx.de/autoqa-cgi/index?run=81&tree=1
>
> last night's run was: 96 out of 96 configs built successfully.
>
> This covers: alpha, arm, mips, powerpc, sparc64, x86, m32r, powerpc,
> xtensa, mips, sh, sparc, parisc, powerpc. We test the various branches
> (amongst them for-akpm) and combination trees as well.
>
> and the backbone of arch/x86 QA we do are the build, boot and stress
> tests we do on x86: we ran and booted thousands of x86 randconfigs in
> the past few days alone. x86/latest boots and works from the smallest
> boxes up to a 64-way testbox. On the 64-way box i did a 1 week burn-in
> stress-test last week as well, for any longer-term effects.

That's nowhere as useful as it could be.

By keeping all this code out of -mm you haven't solved any of the
merge/integration problems which we had in 2.6.24-rcX. They're all still
there. All you did was to push them out of the two-month
integrate-and-test period and put them into the 2.6.25 merge window
instead.

> > > - ftrace plugin for sysprof
> >
> > sysprof is crap.
>
> you mean the original hack? Sure, that had a number of problems and we
> are not offering that for a merge.

whew.

> But have you seen the latest code we are offering for merge?

No. Was it ever sent out for review?

> Check out
> sched-devel/latest and kernel/trace/trace_sysprof.c. Nicely generalized
> on top of stacktrace.h, put into the ftrace framework, userspace has
> been ported to that too. No more special sysprof-only API hack.

Would prefer to not have to go fishing in git trees to find code to review.

  Last update: 2008-04-17 10:45    [W:0.161 / U:1.084 seconds]