SubjectRe: AMD Quad Core clock problem?
Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) writes:
>
>> True, but usually they give you an option to turn it off in the BIOS to
>> make the system actually work with things like NTP.
>>
>> Maybe I should have said "Any system with spread spectrum enabled".
>
> I haven't investigated those spread spectrums at all but sometimes
> there are options: "center" (the frequency is centered around the
> nominal value, I guess) and "below" (or something like that). If done
> correctly, "center" shouldn't have visible effect on NTP, should it?

It shouldn't really matter, since "below" produces a similar spectrum at
a slightly lower frequency.

The main issue is how slow the frequency slew really is; typically the
slew should well average out to zero over the timescale that NTP cares
about.

> The other important question is "what frequency has spread spectrum
> enabled"? CPU (= TSC), HPET, RAM, something else?

In PCs, the TSC and RAM will be affected; the HPET, PMTMR and PIT are
fed from the 14.31818 MHz timekeeping crystal which is generally *not*
spread.

-hpa

  Last update: 2008-04-15 03:27    [W:0.063 / U:0.044 seconds]