SubjectRe: No IDE drivers loaded for Toshiba Satellite 320 CDS
From
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 03:59:20PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> I totally agree. The problem being discussed here is exactly how to know it
> is needed. If you have better suggestions for that, I'd appreciate it.
>
> As you specifically say "modern controllers", I suspect that the problem is
> limited as I guess those are fairly unlikely to be found in machines that
> have an ISA bus.
>
> I also think the way I've implemented in the Debian installer should be
> relatively safe:
> 1) ide-generic is only loaded _after_ any otherwise detected modules
> 2) it is only loaded if an ISA bus is present
> 3) it is only included in the initrd for the installed system if loading it
> in the installer resulted in additional block devices appearing

OK, great for x86 perhaps, what about other systems?

> I would unload ide-generic in the installer if no additional block devices
> appear, but unfortunately that's not possible as it is marked "permanent".
>
> By loading it after any other drivers I expect there will be no issues
> during the installation (as the other driver will already have claimed the
> device). Making sure it is only loaded for the installed system if actually
> needed should avoid problems there.
>
> ATM I can only see this causing problems in systems that need both
> ide-generic and some other driver as adding ide-generic in the initrd is
> likely to result in it being loaded before that other driver.

In the past debian would load ide-generic last. It worked great. Keep
doing that. I am not aware of loading ide-generic after all the other
drivers ever causing any harm in the older debian installers.

> Again, if anyone has a better suggestion how to implement this (preferably
> without asking the user whether he has a device that needs ide-generic,
> which most users are unlikely to know anyway), I'd appreciate it.

I would say just load the generic driver and let it grab whatever other
drivers haven't already. If this causes a problem, then there is a
kernel bug to be fixed. It shouldn't be the installers problem. After
all what happens if ide-generic and all the other drivers are built in
rather than modules? If that broke then the kernel already has issues,
and as far as I can tell that isn't a problem.

So just load it. If it didn't cause any additional ide ports to appear,
then you can unload it again.

--
Len Sorensen

  Last update: 2008-04-14 15:55    [W:0.037 / U:0.180 seconds]