SubjectRe: AMD Quad Core clock problem?

--- Chris Snook <csnook@redhat.com> wrote:

> Marc Perkel wrote:
> > --- Chris Snook <csnook@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> issues
> >> I';m
> >> of

> >> information
> >> When reporting clock problems, please post dmesg.
>
> >> This has all the
> >> interesting timekeeping-related log messages from
> >> the kernel. Please
> >> also describe the drift quantitatively.
> >>
> >> -- Chris
> >>

> > OK - thanks Chris.
> >
> > The drift is small. It loses a few seconds every
> hour.
> > And it might not be kernel related. I just
> remembered
> > the early dual core days when this took months to
> get
> > right. I'm running several dual core computers and
> the
> > only one drifting is the quad. All are running the
> > same OS and kernel.
>
> With the older chips, each core had its own TSC,
> which caused
> synchronization problems. The Barcelona generation
> chips (including
> your Phenom) have a constant frequency TSC on the
> northbridge, so they
> should be immune to these problems.
>
> If it's steadily losing a few seconds every hour,
> it's probably just
> slightly mis-calibrated hardware. ntp should fix
> this right up. If the
> drift is more extreme than ntp can correct for, or
> the drift keeps
> changing, or time is jumping around, that is
> definitely something that
> could be a bug.
>
> > hpet clockevent registered
> > TSC calibrated against HPET
> > Marking TSC unstable due to TSCs unsynchronized
>
> It's possible that in future kernels we'll be a few
> clock cycles more
> accurate in calibrating this on Barcelona chips, but
> calibration is only
> as good as the standard of comparison. There will
> always be hardware
> that's slightly off, so run ntp, or use a nightly
> ntpdate cronjob. If
> your time starts drifting drastically or jumping
> around, please yell
> really loud.
>
> -- Chris

The chip I'm talking about is the Phenom chip. It's
the AMD 9600 and the MB is an ASUS M3A78-EMH.

Been toying with NTPD all weekend and the drift is
such that it's just barely out of the range of NTP to
correct it. Sometime if I sync the clock on startup it
will work for a while but always falls back to the
internal clock. I'm estimating it's losing 3-4 minutes
a day. I also verified that I have the latest bios.

It is possible that I have bad hardware but I doubt
it. I think I might go ahead and start a bug report on
this and see if this is just me or if anyone else is
having these kind of problems as well. Just wanted to
get a little feedback first to make sure I'm not doing
something stupid.

Marc Perkel
Junk Email Filter dot com
http://www.junkemailfilter.com

Be a better friend, newshound, and

  Last update: 2008-04-14 15:43    [W:0.111 / U:0.068 seconds]