SubjectRe: 2.6.25-rc8: FTP transfer errors
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:41:44AM +0200, devzero@web.de wrote:
> >Sure. It's not about bisection specifically, but about the time a
> >reporter is able to invest in addition to what went into the report
> >already. But bisection is is a good example, because it's the most
> >time-consuming of all the tasks routinely asked from bug reporters.
>
> i think the problem with git-bisect is, that it just apears complicated and magic for an end-user.
> this isn`t something a kernel-developer can explain to him in a sentence (i.e. how to use etc)

When I ask a user to bisect, the standard boilerplate I give to the
user is:

<-- snip -->

# install git

# clone Linus' tree:
git clone \
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

# start bisecting:
cd linux-2.6
git bisect start
git bisect bad v2.6.21
git bisect good v2.6.20
cp /path/to/.config .

# start a round
make oldconfig
make
# install kernel, check whether it's good or bad, then:
git bisect [bad|good]
# start next round

After at about 10-15 reboots you'll have found the guilty commit
("... is first bad commit").

More information on git bisecting:
man git-bisect

<-- snip -->

In my experience users are able to bisect with this boilerplate
(unless there are problems like e.g. other regressions hit
during bisecting).

> regards
> roland

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-04-13 22:27    [W:0.187 / U:0.088 seconds]