SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] mfd/sm501.c: #if 0 unused functions
Adrian Bunk пишет:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 09:08:31PM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:

>>> When I removed unused code outright some people complained that they
>>> plan to use it tomorrow or in the next millenium or whenever.
>>>
>>> When I #if 0 it other people complain that I should remove it outright.
>>>
>>> So whatever I do, there's always someone complaining. ;-)
>>>
>>> In this case the code looks as if it might get used at some point in the
>>> future.
>>>
>>> But if a maintainer tells me to resend a patch with the code removed
>>> instead of #if 0'ed I'm always glad to do this.
>>>
>> But, you are completely ignoring the case of "the code is unused, but
>> will probably be used soon, so I'll just leave it alone and avoid the
>> churn". Why? What's the point of commenting it out now and then
>> enabling it again in a month or two - isn't that just pointless churn?
>
> It's unused since more than one year, so chances are it won't get used
> in a month or two.
>
> As I said, if a maintainer wants me to remove it outright I'll be glad
> to do so.
>
> And as I said, no matter whatever I do, there's always someone
> complaining...

It appears to me that if you had complaint statistics, that would have
provided a solid ground for choosing the right strategy for dead code.
Offhand, I have a feeling that the fraction of cases when the code that
has been abandoned long ago is about to be reused in near future ought
to be small.

Thanks,
Dmitri