SubjectRe: [patch 00/17] multi size, and giant hugetlb page support, 1GB hugetlb for x86
On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 04:59:15PM -0700, Nish Aravamudan wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On 4/10/08, npiggin@suse.de <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm taking care of Andi's hugetlb patchset now. I've taken a while to appear
> > to do anything with it because I have had other things to do and also needed
> > some time to get up to speed on it.
> >
> > Anyway, from my reviewing of the patchset, I didn't find a great deal
> > wrong with it in the technical aspects. Taking hstate out of the hugetlbfs
> > inode and vma is really the main thing I did.
>
> Have you tested with the libhugetlbfs test suite? We're gearing up for
> libhugetlbfs 1.3, so most of the test are uptodate and expected to run
> cleanly, even with giant hugetlb page support (Jon has been working
> diligently to test with his 16G page support for power). I'm planning
> on pushing the last bits out today for Adam to pick up before we start
> stabilizing for 1.3, so I'm hoping if you grab tomorrow's development
> snapshot from libhugetlbfs.ozlabs.org, things should run ok. Probably
> only with just 1G hugepages, though, we haven't yet taught
> libhugetlbfs about multiple hugepage size availability at run-time,
> but that shouldn't be hard.

Yeah, it should be easy to disable the 2MB default and just make it
look exactly the same but with 1G pages.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I'll pull the snapshot over the
weekend and try to make it pass on x86 and work with Jon to ensure it
is working with powerpc...

> > However on the less technical side, I think a few things could be improved,
> > eg. to do with the configuring and reporting, as well as the "administrative"
> > type of code. I tried to make improvements to things in the last patch of
> > the series. I will end up folding this properly into the rest of the patchset
> > where possible.
>
> I've got a few ideas here. Are we sure that
> /proc/sys/vm/nr_{,overcommit}_hugepages is the pool allocation
> interface we want going forward? I'm fairly sure we don't. I think
> we're best off moving to a sysfs-based allocator scheme, while keeping
> /proc/sys/vm/nr_{,overcommit}_hugepages around for the default
> hugepage size (which may be the only for many folks for now).
>
> I'm thinking something like:
>
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_hugepages ->
> nr_hugepages_{default_hugepagesize}
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_hugepages_default_hugepagesize
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_hugepages_other_hugepagesize1
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_hugepages_other_hugepagesize2
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_overcommit_hugepages ->
> nr_overcommit_hugepages_{default_hugepagesize}
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_overcommit_hugepages_default_hugepagesize
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_overcommit_hugepages_other_hugepagesize1
> /sys/devices/system/[DIRNAME]/nr_overcommit_hugepages_other_hugepagesize2
>
> That is, nr_hugepages in the directory (should it be called vm?
> memory? hugepages specifically? I'm looking for ideas!) will just be a
> symlink to the underlying default hugepagesize allocator. The files
> themselves would probably be named along the lines of:
>
> nr_hugepages_2M
> nr_hugepages_1G
> nr_hugepages_64K
>
> etc?

Yes I don't like the proc interface, nor the way it has been extended
(although that's not Andi's fault it is just a limitation of the old
API).

I think actually we should have individual directories for each hstate
size, and we can put all other stuff (reservations and per-node stuff
etc) under those directories. Leave the proc stuff just for the default
page size.

I think it should go in /sys/kernel/, because I think /sys/devices is
more of the hardware side of the system (so it makes sense for
reporting eg the actual supported TLB sizes, but for configuring your
page reserves, I think it makes more sense under /sys/kernel/). But
we'll ask the sysfs folk for guidance there.

> We'd want to have a similar layout on a per-node basis, I think (see
> my patchsets to add a per-node interface).
>
> > The other thing I did was try to shuffle the patches around a bit. There
> > were one or two (pretty trivial) points where it wasn't bisectable, and also
> > merge a couple of patches.
> >
> > I will try to get this patchset merged in -mm soon if feedback is positive.
> > I would also like to take patches for other architectures or any other
> > patches or suggestions for improvements.
>
> There are definitely going to be conflicts between my per-node stack
> and your set, but if you agree the interface should be cleaned up for
> multiple hugepage size support, then I'd like to get my sysfs bits
> into -mm and work on putting the global allocator into sysfs properly
> for you to base off. I think there's enough room for discussion that
> -mm may be a bit premature, but that's just my opinion.
>
> Thanks for keeping the patchset uptodate, I hope to do a more careful
> review next week of the individual patches.

Sure, I haven't seen your work but it shouldn't be terribly hard to merge
either way. It should be easy if we work together ;)

Thanks,
Nick

  Last update: 2008-04-11 10:31    [W:0.065 / U:0.048 seconds]