SubjectRe: [patch] e1000=y && e1000e=m regression fix

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Daniel Barkalow wrote:

> Wouldn't it make more sense to turn E1000 into a option that does nothing
> except select both E1000E and E1000_PCI, and have those two be the options
> that build drivers?

Yes, that sounds fine too. Although you need to add a

depends on PCI

to the E1000 thing (because the "select" would not honor the dependencies
that E1000E and E1000_PCI have).

However:

> Then, after a while, we drop the E1000 option entirely

I agree we could, but as I tried to explain, I fundamentally don't think
we _should_.

Why should people _ever_ be asked about whether they want "E1000 PCI
support" vs "E1000 PCI-E" support, when it's almost impossible to tell
which kind of card you have?

In other words, I suspect that anybody who selects E1000 support would
actually want the "support both" case, and simply not care. Unless they
were _really_ deeply aware of their hardware.

> AFAICT, this makes "make oldconfig" always give the same support that the
> the earlier kernel had and people get set it to what they actually want if
> they notice.

.. but that said, I think your patch is certainly better than what we have
now (or what Ingo was complaining about for the next merge window). I
certainly could live with it. I would just suggest against ever then
removing that "generic E1000" choice.

Linus

  Last update: 2008-04-12 01:03    [W:0.130 / U:0.812 seconds]